VMware Cloud Community
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI VM Kernel

I have an iSCSI SAN that I have operational with Windows machines. I simply placed the iSCSI SAN on a different subnet on the same physical network becuase I have VLANs going, so to facilitate this I created a new kernel on that subnet (192.168) for iSCSI to talk.

It's not working.

I opened the ports on the firewall as outlined in some KB I found and I setup CHAP, but I am never even seeing the LUNs.

Am I missing a step? The iSCSI server is authenticating based on IP alone, when I change it to a Windows host, it is picked up right away. I have noticed that if I SSH to the server it cannot ping the iSCSI host, but the windows can ping both.

I must be missing something.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Ryan, you mention that you setup a vmkernel port for this. Have you also setup a service console port on this subnet and VLAN with a unique IP (to the iSCSI subnet)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Ryan, you mention that you setup a vmkernel port for this. Have you also setup a service console port on this subnet and VLAN with a unique IP (to the iSCSI subnet)?

0 Kudos
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I \*can* ping the iSCSI server when I use vmkping. I forgot that I needed to do that.

0 Kudos
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow, it was so simple.

Thank you. I guess that's what happens when you try to do this for too many hours straight!

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
trojanjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What virtual switch did you create your VMkernel port on?

Do the physical NIC's connected to that switch connect to the a port on the switch in the same vlan as the iSCSI SAN? Either a trunk or that port needs to be set to access that vlan.

---- Visit my blog. http://www.2vcps.com
Follow me: http://twitter.com/jon_2vcps
0 Kudos