VMware Cloud Community
dkloster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI Question

Can anyone tell me how to disconnect a single iSCSI session from an ESX Server? In other words....I have 10 ISCSI LUNs presented to an ESX server. I would like to disconnect the ESX server from one of the volumes without affecting the other volumes. I need to be able to do this from the VMware side of things not the SAN side. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sthoppay_wipro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Goto Configuration, Advanced Setting. Select disk and look for Disk.MaskLuns and type in the lun you want to hide for that ESX Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can't you just remove the LUN?

Configuration --> Storage --> right click on the LUN you wanna to remove and remove?

0 Kudos
sthoppay_wipro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Goto Configuration, Advanced Setting. Select disk and look for Disk.MaskLuns and type in the lun you want to hide for that ESX Server.

0 Kudos
dkloster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! I forgot about masking the LUN. That was exactly what I was looking to do.

0 Kudos
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hmm... why don't you just configuration --> storage adapters --> click on the adapter --> find the LUN and click on Hide LUNs?

If you just want to hide it? No need to go to advance options?

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What you are talking about is server side LUN masking which you can control using the Disk.MaskLUNs parameter.

However as far as I know LUN masking is only supported on fibre channel HBAs.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dkloster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I spoke too soon......You are correct, it is only suported in FC.

Postfix, I think hiding the LUN the way you suggested only hides it from the GUI, the server itself still sees it.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think you are a bit stumped. LUN masking is way foward but you can't use it for iSCSI. You might have to look at the another other end.

0 Kudos
shaaad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

every iSCSI SAN I have seen supports LUN Masking, you should be able to not 'present' the LUN to the ESX servers period. If you have a 'host group' containing all of the VmWare iSCSI initiatiors, you should be able to remove the LUN from the group as well. This is all on the SAN configuration side.

0 Kudos