VMware Cloud Community
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI Network Config Probs

Hi Everybody,

I'm just testing my network infrastructure in preparation for a SAN installation later in the week and am a bit confused about the iSCSI config:

I've created a virtual switch with a Service Console port and a VMKernal port connected to it. The iSCSI Service Console port naturally uses the same default gateway as the other Service Console connection (which I use purely for connecting to VC or to SSH to the hosts directly via the corporate LAN).

When I connect the vmnics to the physically separate[/i] storage network I am unable to ping them from anywhere else on that network. However, if I try to ping the iSCSI Service Console port from our corporate LAN (even if the vmnics are not connected up) I get replies!

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReggieSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vmnics are simply "pass thru" connections so you will not be able to ping them directly. You should be able to ping the VMkernel port though as long as you are on that network (if it is isolated). To add a GW for the VMKernel, use the esxcfg-route command. ( add --h to the end if you are unsure how to use it.)

unless you are running all of your traffic over the same public network, you SHOULD have 2 separate "default" gateways- 1 for the Service Console connections and the other for VMKernel. Being able to ping the SC on the iSCSI vswitch is expected.

You probably have not done anything wrong. Just make sure the physical switch has a GW and use that.

I have mine set up just this way and it works fine.

had to correct a typo Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

ReggieSmith

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you using iSCSI HBAs or are you using the software initiator? Is you iSCSI network physically separate from your LAN, or are you using vLANs? For my iSCSI connections I am using Qlogic QLA4052c HBAs, so I specify that their gateway information is completely different than our LAN info. LAN = 172.x.x.x iSCSI = 10.x.x.x.

-Jon-

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm planning on using the software initiator. At the moment I'm just testing the network infrastructure.

Yes, I want to have the iSCSI network physically separate from the LAN, i.e. LAN = 172.x.x.x and iSCSI = 100.x.x.x. How do you give the iSCSI Service Console port group a different default gateway to the other Service Console port groups?

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can only have one default gateway on your server. Hence the name "default gateway" Smiley Happy

Why would you need a GW on your iscsi lan? If it is an isolated network you should not need it.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quite. However, since iSCSI requires a Service Console port group to work, it picks up the default gateway that is defined for the other Service Console port groups that talk to the corporate LAN.

0 Kudos
ReggieSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vmnics are simply "pass thru" connections so you will not be able to ping them directly. You should be able to ping the VMkernel port though as long as you are on that network (if it is isolated). To add a GW for the VMKernel, use the esxcfg-route command. ( add --h to the end if you are unsure how to use it.)

unless you are running all of your traffic over the same public network, you SHOULD have 2 separate "default" gateways- 1 for the Service Console connections and the other for VMKernel. Being able to ping the SC on the iSCSI vswitch is expected.

You probably have not done anything wrong. Just make sure the physical switch has a GW and use that.

I have mine set up just this way and it works fine.

had to correct a typo Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

ReggieSmith

0 Kudos
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input everybody. I've changed the broadcast domain of the iSCSI network completely so that it can't use the Service Console's default gateway and that seems to have done the trick.

0 Kudos