VMware Cloud Community
KrishnaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iSCSI HW initiator configuration in esx 3.0.2 for multiple paths

I'm trying to configure 2 ESX servers with hardware iSCSI initiators (QLA4050C) so that each server can see 4 paths to the iSCSI storage (IBM DS3300). I've connected the servers to storage according to the attached diagram. For now, I'm only experimenting with 1 server till I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried 2 separate things:

1) Everything on Switch A is on subnet 10.1.1.x/24 and Switch B is on 10.1.2.x/24.

2) All devices in both switches are on 10.0.0.x/8 subnet.

In the Dynamic Discovery for HBA A, I've entered the IPs of the first A port and the first B port of the storage array and for HBA B, the IPs of the second A port and second B. In both cases mentioned above, I only see 2 paths from the host: one from hba A and one from hba B.

I'm not sure whether I'm configuring incorrectly or if there's details about the DS3300 that I'm not aware of. I'm relatively new to iSCSI, having come from a FC background.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KrishnaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tested this setup on a regular Linux box and came up with the same result: 2 paths from each host. The key to getting 4 paths seems to lie in changing the Initiator Session ID through SANsurfer. When I changed the ISID to be different from each other, I was able to see 4 sessions from each host on the array. This is because the DS3300 uses the same IQNs for all its ports. So when the initiator logs into it, it sees 1 iqn and decides that only merits 1 session. This then brings up the issue of how do I get SANsurfer GUI up and running in ESX and will it recognize the Qlogic HBAs correctly?

0 Kudos