VMware Cloud Community
heensit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

howto: download and install HP agents

Hi, I hope that someone can help me here.

I'm quite new to VMware ESX Smiley Sad

I have a VMware ESX 3.01 starter version running on an DL380G5 2xdual core,6GB RAM, ...

I have installed some guests

so far so good.

Now I want to install the HP Management Agents on the ESX machine.

But to do that I have to download the agents onto the ESX machine and there is my problem... How do I do that?

Is there anybody who can help me with this? I'm searching for an answer now for more then 2 weeks (in my limited free time...) but can't seem to find the answer...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
darren_boyd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do one of two things to restart the ssh daemon (without the single quotes).

1. type the following '/sbin/service sshd restart'

2. Or you can become root using 'su -'

The system looks for the service command in your PATH. If it's not there, it will tell you 'command not found'.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
darren_boyd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here are some steps to allow you to transfer the file to your host.

1. allow ssh on the host. Edit the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change the value 'PermitRootLogin no' to 'PermitRootLogin yes'. Then restart the ssh daemon by typing 'service sshd restart'.

2. copy the agent to the ESX host. The easiest way to perform this is to download a client such as WinSCP http://winscp.net/eng/index.php which will allow you to copy files to and from your ESX host through a GUI interface. Just login to the host as root and transfer the file to a destination folder.

3. From there you can unpack the HP agent and install

Let me know if you have questions on installing the agents itself

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As an alternative to changing the security level of your server to allow SSH access to the root login, you can create a new user and grant the user shell access when you create the account. You can then use winscp or I prefer this: http://www.veeam.com/veeam_fast_scp.asp to connect to the host and transfer the HP download to you host. FastSCP allows you to switch to the root login should you have to transfer a file to/from a location which your new user doesn't have permissions to on the ESX host.

The HP agent download is here: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26407.html

and you'll want to note that it does require firewall changes to your ESX host to function properly.

0 Kudos
heensit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I try to restart the sshd service I get the following error.

\[root@HIT-VM02 root]# service sshd restart

bash: service: command not found

When I try to use FastSCP I get the following problem.

I can connect (via my user and then su to root)

but when I try to copy some files I get

Browsing folder: 192.168.28.22/HPSIM/

Items total - 0: Folders (0), Folder Links (0), Files (0), File Links (0), Executable Files (0), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

Preparing scripts

Logged into server using one-time login name bea5dbc8-ed62-45e4-a400-94c9a5701a90 and password 473fda7a-bf52-48a1-b4da-4d284f1ee7ac

Browsing folder: 192.168.28.22./

Items total - 19: Folders (19), Folder Links (0), Files (0), File Links (0), Executable Files (0), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

Removing file or folder - 192.168.28.22/HPSIM/README.txt: OK!

Operation canceled

Removing file or folder - 192.168.28.22/HPSIM/README.txt: OK!

Browsing folder: 192.168.28.22/HPSIM/

Items total - 0: Folders (0), Folder Links (0), Files (0), File Links (0), Executable Files (0), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

I hope one of you can shed a light on what's wrong Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
darren_boyd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do one of two things to restart the ssh daemon (without the single quotes).

1. type the following '/sbin/service sshd restart'

2. Or you can become root using 'su -'

The system looks for the service command in your PATH. If it's not there, it will tell you 'command not found'.

0 Kudos