VMware Cloud Community
Galew
Contributor
Contributor

how to use iso images from other source than /vmimages

Hello!

When I Installed ESX 3.5 I created a huge partition for ISO images like in previous versions.

Now I can't use my iso images when I try to start my new VM's. Is the problem with fstype (ext3) ?

I created a link from /vmimages to my /local/imagestore directory. I can see it from my Virtual Center browser but I can't start the VM. If I copy the image directly to /vmimages folder it works out fine. The problem is that /vmimages folder is in the root partition and I don't want to use it.

How can I use images from my /local directory?

Thanks for the answers!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

While you are trying to access the iso storage from /vmimages, you can also create a soft link in /vmfs/volumes/<storage>

This is accessible in vm edit settings > cdrom > Datastore ISO files

or , create a folder in /vmimages, and then create a link in that folder.

example; ln -s <iso images source> /vmimages/iso-library

this is should work.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
Galew
Contributor
Contributor

Please read again my post. I tried to link it but the image won't work. It works fine if I copy it to /vmimages folder

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

please let me know if you are seeing any error messages.

Also let meknow the command you are trying to make the soft link in vmimages.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
Galew
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

The error message when I try to start VM is"the attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (powered off)"

ln -s /local/ /vmimages/blaa. I can browse to image from VI center with no problems. Can the fstype be ext3 or should it be vmfs?

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

the file system type can be ext3, as it is on /vmimages.

now the error messages is some thing related to virtual machine .

try to check the state of the virtual machine from the console, using the below command.

vmware-cmd <complete path of the .vmx file of the VM> getstate

if this shows that the vm is powered on, then try to poweroff the vm, and try to attach the iso file.

When trying to add the iso file from vi also select "connect at power on" option.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
Galew
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

connect power on is checked.

The vmware-cmd shows that power is off and the problem occurs even when I create a new VM and power it on first time.

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have seen this issues couple of times, that vm does not start for the first time, when you give the iso image from datastore.

but when you try for the second time this works.

will try for the some solutions and let you know.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

As of version 3.0 you shouldn't use /vmimages anymore or any other local ext3 diskpartitition for that matter. Use a dedicated vmfs partition or a nfs on your virtualcenter box for instance.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I no longer store iso files on my ESX hosts, I store them on a network file server, and just map them from my VI Client.

i.e. set the CDROM to client device, and then use the "Connect CD/DVD" button on the toolbar.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos