how to monitor the network traffic bandwidth of the ESX Server and the VM

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Click "Change Chart Options" at the top of the chart, then set what you want to see. It will only show you what you have access too - i.e. CLusters can only get CPU, Memory and Cluster. VM can see it all, depends on what node of the tree you click the chart tab.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have VirtualCenter, you can use the charts on the performance tab of the virtual machine or the esx server.

If not, from the command line run esxtop, then push n.

Dave

0 Kudos
zhangfred_vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but from the charts on the performance tab, we can just see the CPU performance, we can't see the network tranfic bandwidth.

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Click "Change Chart Options" at the top of the chart, then set what you want to see. It will only show you what you have access too - i.e. CLusters can only get CPU, Memory and Cluster. VM can see it all, depends on what node of the tree you click the chart tab.

Dave

0 Kudos
soleblazer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you are interested in measuring actual bandwidth I would suggest using the tool iperf. Its very simple to setup and gives you a nice formatted output of what your MB/s is between two hosts.

I typically get about 35-40MB/s when going between two vm's on diff esx servers.

infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea if you can monitor via SNMP each individual VM's network usage? I've got an external resource monitoring tool that nice formats and graphs long term history of my usage. I've tried enabling SNMP on ESX 3.0.1 but as of yet no luck getting it to work.

0 Kudos
amit40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmkusage can be utilized to graph daily,weeklyand monthly traffic trends

Second tool : esxtop

0 Kudos