VMware Cloud Community
the_dud
Contributor
Contributor

how to edit struts-config.xml

I have a beginner question

I have installed the EXS 3.5 and after the installation I need to edit the struts-config.xml in order to have web access, since I am new to Linux I don't know how to edit the file, I can open the file but I don't know how to change the text, I understand that I have to use some kind of text editor.

Some help will be appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To edit the file use the nano or vi editors, I'd suggest using nano due to your comment about being new to Linux as it's more friendly. Assuming you were using the "cat" or "more" or "less" commands to view the file I assume you know which directory it's in.

1. Enter the command "nano -w struts-config.xml" (with the path to the file before the filename if necessary)

2. Scroll down til you find the section that starts "scripted install handler"

3. Comment out the third line of this section by adding "<!-- " to the beginning and " -->" to the end (this is the page that normally displays showing you that scripted install is disabled)

4. A couple of lines further down there is a "<!--" on it's own, delete that whole line

5. At the bottom of the section there is a line "-->", delete that line (the lines in between the 2 deletions you have just made are the forms of the scripted installer)

6. To save and exit nano, press CTRL-X, press Y to save changes, press Enter to save and exit

7. Restart the web service with the "service vmware-webAccess restart" command

That should be it.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
the_dud
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

According to the book I need to return to the home page, but I don't see an option to go to the home page I see only the consul

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Making the changes I mentioned enables the "Login to the Scripted Installer" link on the web access page when you point your web browser directly to an ESX host. I thought that's what you wanted to do?

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
the_dud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scot,

I have managed to do everything in the installation chapter including editing the struts-config.xml with VI editor creating the ks file, now I am performing the installation with the ks file located on a share which I created on a windows computer.

Interesting stuff

Thanks

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have moved your thread to the ESX 3.5 forum

Please remember to mark Scotts thread as either correct or helpful and mark your question as answered

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410