VMware Cloud Community
therapie
Contributor
Contributor

how to deactivate transparent page sharing

Hello,

I want to deactivate TPS in all the cluster VC 2.5 ESX 3.5 but the only solution I found is to deactivate by VM, modifying the configuration file

Is there an other way in ESX advanced settings for example to deactivate this option?

thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can set "Mem.ShareScanTime" and "Mem.ShareScanGHz" to 0 in the advanced setting on each host in the cluster..

I do not think you can set this on an entire cluster... only on hosts and VMs..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
therapie
Contributor
Contributor

thanks I will try soon

is it necessary to reboot the ESX when modifying advanced settings?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just curious, why would you want to do this?

Duncan

Blogging:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Me 2 Smiley Happy

(and cant really remember if a reboot is required or not... sorry)

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Try sched.mem.pshare.enable = false

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I will add my voice to the why chorus - TPS saves memory, does not impact performance and is secure and best of all the VM guest o/s has no idea it is occurring -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
therapie
Contributor
Contributor

hello

I was sure these question would come Smiley Happy

this was asked by the customer the aim is to have some memory spare for the day the infra will be full.

as this modification to disable tps is not so simple I will try again to tell them that is better to increase mem reservation

but I want to test the solution first just to see if it works

thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

But the whole purpose of TPS is to have memory available as the infra fills up -

0 Kudos
therapie
Contributor
Contributor

this is they're first virtual infra they are afraid that with lack of monitoring they find one day that they do not have enough memory and they thought about reactivating back the TPS the day the infra's memory full to give them time to react

that is the reason why I proposed them to increase the reserved memory instead and I am sure they will accept when they will know that disabling TPS is not so simple

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The better way to approach this is leave TPS enabled - size the vms so you do not overcommit the ESX servers memory and see how much memeory is used and they can monitor the memory usage by keeping an eye on ballooning activity through the VI CLient - if there is ballooning acticvity they are running out of memory -

0 Kudos