VMware Cloud Community
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

how to administer domain controller on esxi 3.5 using vmware infrstructure client

Hi,

I installed vmware esxi, and i created vm of the domain controller, w03. I have vmware infrastructure client install on wxp. I am trying to figure out how to administer

the domain controller. I'm new in vm, thank you for the help.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
21 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The VI Client is for administration of ESXi. Use the console on the VI client to administer the DC vm. Or enable remote access and RDP to the DC from wherever.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - as MaxMouse said you can use the console feature of the VI Client to gain access to your VM or use an RDP client and login in that way - the preferred way is to use an RDP client to access the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, very helpful. In vmInfrastructure client, as I think you meant it is the console, I see the vm.vmdk in the datastore, but I can't see theis vm.vmdk in the vm-tab. then when rdp to it rdp can't make connection.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You have to use the console tab in the VI client so you can view the console of your virtual machine. From there you can log in and setup remote access as you normally would on a Windows OS.

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, I think the problem is I don't have the vm in the virtual machine tab, however, I have it in the folder that I created under the Inventory section. this vm-vmdk is the clone of the windows03 dc. So I need to figure out why I can't see the -clone- vm-vmdk in the vm tab.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You cloned a DC?! Hope you don't want to bring it online while the original server is still running Smiley Wink

Depending on how you cloned the VM, you should have a vmx file in the VM's folder. Open the datastore browser, right click the vmx file and select "Add to Inventory".

André

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

'add the inventory' optin is grayed out, I guess it is not the correct file type for vmachine to add to the inventory. I infact used the vmware vCenter converter stand alone, and followed the instructions.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is your host in Maintenance Mode?

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

It booted normally, as far as I can tell it is not in maintenance mode.

It says:

vmware esx server 3i...

intel ....

download tools to manage this ...

F2 customize sys f 12 shutdown...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To determine whether or not the host is in maintenance mode, connect to the ESX host using your infrastructure client.

If the host is in maintenance mode it will look like:

To exit maintenance mode, right click the host and select "Exit Maintenance Mode"

André

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

It is not in maintenance mode; when I right click on the host one of the menu items says: Enter Maintenance Mode. Thanks again for your help.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Could you please post a screenshot of the datastore browser, showing all the files in the VM's folder.

Maybe there's something missing.

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, this may help. It is just a work around!

Right click on yourESX Server and click on import and go through the wizard. When it asks for the source VM file, give your <VM_name>.vmx file ask the source file and you will be able to import the VM into your inventory under your ESX Server.

Or here are a coupleof tips to add the VM to your ESX Server inventory through CLI. Login to the console of the ESX Server with root access.

1. Execute the folowwing command to find out the .vmx files existing in your database.

vmware-cmd -l

Then execute the folowwing command to register your VM to ESX Server

vmware-cmd -s register <config_file_path> where <config_file_path> is the path of the .vmx file.

2. Copy the vmdk files and vmx to another directory and create a new VM and use these file.

use vmkfstools to do this, you only need to specify the non-flat file, it will automatically copy both vmdk files.

ie. vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/MyVolume/VM/MyVM.vmdk

Then create a new VM and tell it to use an existing disk and that should do it...

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, I will try it.

uzunlu

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please post here if this rectified your issue!

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help, sadly I had to reinstall the esxi so that took a little long. here is the screen shots that you wanted to see. sorry, i can't paste the fopy of the screen shot. could you tell me how you posted the image when you replied. uzunlu

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When you reply, there's a box to attach a file to the message. Use that to post your screenshot.

0 Kudos
uzunlu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PacketRacer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure what the original problem is, but... You are looking at VMDK disk. There is no virtual machine there, just a disk. There may have been a VM at one point, but looks like it's not there now. A virtual machine is a .vmx file, and that's the only type of file that will make the "Add to Inventory" option light up.

Assuming that this VMDK disk belonged to a Windows VM, you could build a new VM and add this disk to it. That way you can at least get the files off of it. Or, there might be utilities out there to allow you to mount a VMDK and read it without adding it to a VM.

Hope that helps!