VMware Cloud Community
stanley12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to add a second IP address for external network

I have two NICS which I use for VMs (one internal and one external), and virtual switches have been created for both of them. My ESX server has an internal IP already, how do I add a second external IP address without deleting the first? I try to create a new switch, but the in the default gateway menus the DNS is pointing to the first switch, and I don't want to delete this info.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SkyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NICs for use by Virtual Machines don't require IP addresses, they relay the traffic using the IP found within the virtual machine. Are you trying to add an additional service console to be accessible through this external connection? Possibly posting a screen print from your configuration could help understand what you are doing and what you are hoping to accomplish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SkyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NICs for use by Virtual Machines don't require IP addresses, they relay the traffic using the IP found within the virtual machine. Are you trying to add an additional service console to be accessible through this external connection? Possibly posting a screen print from your configuration could help understand what you are doing and what you are hoping to accomplish.

0 Kudos
stanley12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i was adding an additional service console. I realized my gateway settings were not right. thanks for your help!

0 Kudos