VMware Cloud Community
AaronUDI
Contributor
Contributor

how do you create a NIC Team inside a VM?

Hey,

I have an etherchannel setup from my virtual switches to my physical switches. This works great. However i have seen a Virtual NIC inside a VM go bad and cause issues on a VM. So how can i add a second virtual NIC to the VM and bond/team? here is how i would like my final setup to be:

-

Vnic1-----VSwitch1--Physical Switch1 (core1)

VM-----Bonded nic

-

Vnic2-----VSwitch2---Physical Switch2 (core2)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Coming to think of it there is no way for a vNic to go bad unless it's a BUG triggered under a specific scenerio, which would affect all the NICs of this type inside that particulat VM.

However bond inside a VM is possible with e1000 NIC as long as the Guest OS supports it, Like all the 64 Bit Guest support e1000, you can download the intel e1000 software and install it inside to VM and have bond between 2 intel e1000 NICs like you would do in your Physical environment.

As far as the linux guest is concern you dont need any software and I am sure you can find enough Bond Howto stuff on google.

Let me know if you need more information.

-Surya

0 Kudos
AaronUDI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

That's what i would have thought too...but i a VM spiking CPU and found that it was the vnic. once i removed it and reconfigured the nic it fixed the problem.

0 Kudos