VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

high memory utilization on 2 ESX hosts

Hello,

I have a question. We have a cluster with 3 ESX hosts (each has 2xQuad and 32GB of mem). There are 6 SQL servers (each has 16GB of RAM assigned) put on these hosts (2 SQL servers per each host). The problem is now, that on first ESX host these 2 SQL servers "take" only 12GB of physical host memory (so 20GB are free in the summary tab of ESX), but 2 other hosts are slashed with mem. They show usage of memory at level of 29GB (both). And now I am confused - why these 2 SQL servers from first host take "normal" count of ESX memory, and these 4 take "everything" slashing these 2 ESX hosts?

Due to this I cannot Vmotion them to these hosts 😕

Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks for any comments

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using AMD or Intel? What's the OS type?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Intel CPUs, VMs are running Windows 2008 Datacenter

:edit:

This is how it looks like on screens

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

I think there are 2 possible causes to this.:

1) You have set memory reservation on the 2 SQL vm's.

2) Since the 2 sql server has 16 GB of mem they can use it. So if the SQL really uses the memory. What about mem usage in the OS taskmanager. sqlserver mem usage ?

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos