VMware Cloud Community
rwozniczka
Contributor
Contributor

hardware recommendation

we recently purchased VMware Infrastructure 3 Standard for 2 processors for 2 servers (2 x 2 lic)

and VMware VirtualCenter Management Server 2 for VMware Infrastructure

assuming price tag is not most important at this point can you recommend servers model and spec? I was thinking about 2 x DL385 G2 or 2 x DL585 G2

also haven't decided on storage to either go with internal SCSI drives in above servers or HP 1510i iSCSI with MSA30 attached

any suggestions based on experience with VMware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The DL385/DL585 are both solid machines, however the 1510i iSCSI/MSA30 is a piece of crap. If you look around you'll find people with dismal performance problems with them. I personally have an MSA1500cs with a couple of the MSA30 shelves. They lasted about a year with many problems before I banished them to a capacity where performance and availability didn't matter. If you want to go iSCSI look at EqualLogic and/or lefthand networks iscsi solutions. They're both solid products. I personally prefer EqualLogic and now have a PS300E that I have been quite happy with.

0 Kudos
rwozniczka
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I'll do some research based on your recommendation

0 Kudos
wcrahen
Expert
Expert

Both servers are great, seems like you would be better suited with the the 385 however, unless you know you will be upgrading the 585 in the short term. Unless you want to stick with the AMD's you should really look at the quad core 380 G5's, they really perform well. As for SAN, I would consider the EMC CX3-10, but you have lots of options there.

0 Kudos
rwozniczka
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, as far as Xeon vs AMD goes I have better experience with opterons at least for Xeon G4 vs AMD G1, from my testing opterons outperform xeons, is G5 performing much better then G4?

0 Kudos