VMware Cloud Community
-stijn-
Contributor
Contributor

extend ext3 file system on ESX server

I need to upgrade one ESX3.0 server towards ESX3.5, the problem is that the file system / is too small.... Is there any way to extend the "partition" (volume) and then extend the file system?

thanks,

-Stijn-

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, ext3 can be extended. What kind of storage are you using for /? Is it local disk, and if so, is there unused space on the local disks? If there is space left, then you can extend the volume you have allocated to the ESX / partition. You will most likely have to boot off a cd, and then extend the filesystem, and I believe you can use gparted for this.

If you don't have unused space on your disk, then you're probably out of luck, and may have to find a way to clear enough space.

Otherwise, just perform a new install. You will have to redo your settings, and will get to redo your partitioning in the process as well.

Make sure you choose NOT to remove existing VMFS.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
-stijn-
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. There is still free disk space on the disk... but I just don't find any procedure that clearly explains me ....

I need to know from which CD that I can boot, which flavour....how to bootin single user mode.

Then I guess that I need to extend /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 which is / corresponding to the command df, whith whch command and how? fdisk?

Then I need to extend the file system? With which command?

Thanks,

-Stijn

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

As KjB says, use a linux live disk, examples are knoppix, systemrescuecd (many other could work, but those come loaded with gparted and a graphical shell)

After starting gparted you can do the resizing bit similar to how it works in partition-magic and if you pay attention to the details screen, you'll see the commands it used to get there.

When you use the liveCD you no longer need to boot into single user mode, just make sure that the disk you are trying to resize is not mounted (well it won't allow you to resize the disk if it is)

--

Wil

Message was edited by: wila, fixed typo

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
-stijn-
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. But I already tried knoppix (no SCSI driver available - so I am not able to see the disk) and I tried ubuntu withouth any success....

Where can I find a linux bootable image that works (booting in single user mode). which flavour should I use (need probably extend fs of an ext3 fs).

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Try the CentOS live cd. It should have the SCSI drivers that RedHat does, so if you COS sees the space, then the CentOS should see it also, as it is based on the RHEL SRPMs.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos