VMware Cloud Community
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

esx connection issue

hi! I've problem connecting to my esx3.5 svr and the vc and vdm VMs in there. It's a new setup. (I re-install the esx retaining the VMs in there). I've problem accessing the esx server, VC & VDM through console. I'm not even able to ping them. It works only within the same vlan. The setup was working fine previously before i re-install and there isn't any restriction between vlan in the network.

Here's the message when try to console in using VIC.

"Cannot connect to host ...: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because host has failed to respond"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You swapped your vmnics. On your 'old' screen shot, your VMs are on vmnic1, on your new one, they are on vmnic0.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi! so...what need to be done here? swapping the physical connection from 0 to 1? or is there any command to do the swapping? Thanks.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

build a second vswitch with its uplinks as vmnic1, then create a port group on it, then change each of your VM's network upink to the net portgroup.

--Matt

0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi! Sorry....i've not try that before.....is that being done through the GUI in the VIC?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi! In the current setup the console and the rest of the VM are using vswitch 0. Could that cause by the option selected during the setup(Selected the default---whereby service console and the vm are using the same vswitch)? As shown in the following instruction extracted from the esx installation guide. Is it necessary to enter a vlan id in this case? (we've multiple vlan in the network with the esx server in one of the vlan)

Thanks.

16 If your network requires a VLAN ID, enter a VLAN ID.

17 Select Create a default network for virtual machines to create a default port group

for virtual machines. This option is selected by default.

If you select Create a default network for virtual machines, your virtual machines

share a network adapter with the service console, which is not the recommended

configuration for optimum security. If you do not select this option, create a

network connection for your virtual machines as described in the Server +

Configuration Guide.

+

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, it is done through the GUI.

Take some time to read the manual - it will help you understand whats going on.

--Matt

0 Kudos