VMware Cloud Community
register
Contributor
Contributor

esx 3.01 and 3.02, vmware tools always shows "out of date"

new install. I started under 3.01 and have since upgraded to 3.02. I have a few test VMs (win2003 sp2) running. I have uninstalled, re-installed, etc. VC always shows "out of date" for all my VMs. Everything seems to work fine so I just ignore it. Anybody know why this is? Is there something I'm missing?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GarionBrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried manually mounting the VmWare tools ISO from the ESX host and running the install manually?

0 Kudos
register
Contributor
Contributor

yes. I tried installing & also Repairing.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Were the VMs imported from somewhere else?

You may want to remove vmware-tools completely, then go into the devices and remove any hidden vmware devices. Reboot the server and reinstall.

Also, go into the vmware-tools icon in the systray and tells us the version listed in the about. That will help us know from where you are starting.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
register
Contributor
Contributor

The "gold copy" VM I use to build them all was actually installed on VMWare Server 1.0x and I used Converter to move it to ESX. Maybe that has something to do w/ it.

build-29996

0 Kudos
register
Contributor
Contributor

I tried uninstalling them again & then checked the VC before I re-installed. It still shows "out of date" even though Tools has been uninstalled. So the problem seems to be a communication issue between VC and my VMs.

I didn't find any hidden drivers, but it's very possible I missed something. What exactly is VC checking to determine if Tools is installed and what version it is?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OK, uninstall. Delete the directory where the tools are installed.

Make sure that there are NO running instance of the service or the task bar (sometimes it stays running even when it's uninstalled)

c:\program files\vmware

make sure all instances of programs starting with vmware* are stopped, after you reboot.

THEN install the VM Ware tools, and ensure no errors on the screen. (Maybe there is a registry problem preventing proper installation).

THEN reboot, now it should work.

Are you at SP2, and is this of Windows XP/2003?

Also mount the CD manually, don't use the VM Ware tools install in the VC. Maybe it's getting a location other than the proper one, which is vmimages\tools-isoimages\windows.iso. Then do the install from the CD inside the VM.

0 Kudos