VMware Cloud Community
Fredzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

errors after upgrade 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 Upgrade 1

Hello,

I upgraded two servers from 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 upgrade 1 from the CD.

Everything was fine during the upgrade process but at the boot procedure, I had errors at the end with the last script "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3".

Error from the log file /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3.log"

Parsing error: parse error: Error adding class VMware_IdentityMemberOfCollection

to the repository: CIM_ERR_NOT_FOUND: The requested object could not be found:

"VMware_Identity"

I had the same errors on both servers. If I reboot the servers "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3" re-tries each time but failed.

Everything seems right on the servers but I'm not confident about that.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank you in advance,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
61 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Me??? If so, not really. ESX1 was flawless. ESX2 - I ran into the issue and your fix took care of it. ESX3 - I won't be doing for another week or two.

Bill

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

HI Bill,

Jason noted he was still having an issue with pegasus but he has not indicated any resolve, so I was checking if he needed a hand with it.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thread moved to the VI: ESX 3.5 forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Mike,

The issue can be resolved with your fix, but I still wonder what happens when you disable the pegasus service.

What would be affected by this?

Regards

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you disable the service you will not have the ability to used third party management products like System Center, HP Openview and any thing else that depends on a Common Interface Model/Web Enterprise Manager service.

As well the service was not functionally impacted by the MOF compiler scripts. It was still working but could not be correctly updated using the error'd script.

In Jason's case he indicated it was still not resolved with the corrected script directives and file copy.

0 Kudos
jason_vitanza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mike,

I did get this to work, I just had to modify the files under"1_files" sorry about not posting this sooner, I was off for a week or so. Also, this is hapening on every install of 3.5 update 1, at least with HP Blades

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok,

Just want to make sure you were OK.

I noticed it is still an issue in 3.5.0u1.

0 Kudos
The_Ether
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have implemented Mike La Spina's solution as a script that will handle queue directories 1-9 to automate the resolution.

Pegasus service fails to start after upgrade or installation of ESX 3.5 Update 1

Regards,

Jamie.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ugh!

Has VMware published a date on when they expect to have this resolved by? As much as I appricate the work Mike and others have put into the solution it is not something I'll get sign off from my boss on.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just about every IBM server we install 3.5 U1 on, does something like this as well, but even install_queue 1 and 2 tasks error out. It does not appear to be the same issue, or is it?

0 Kudos
The_Ether
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, I believe it is the same thing.

I have seen it on pretty much every server I have installed or upgraded on (Dell/IBM)

I believe the queue numbers change depending on whether it is an install or an upgrade.

Cheers,

Jamie.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dear ESX users,

A solution to this issue has been developed and will be available in the next Update release, which will be released shortly.

Best regards,

VMware ESX Product Team

0 Kudos
Oswulf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not resolved yet. Fresh install of ESX 3.5 Update 1 followed by Update Manager patches to build 98103. Issue still remains...

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just did two fresh ESX 3.5 Update 1 installations on HP DL585 G5 128GB 4 4x4 quad processors and the same issue happened. I did the Mike Laspina fix and all is good. Just an FYI 3_files did not exist but 1_files did and changes were made there. After editing and copying files, I restarted service and good to go.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem appears to be fixed in Update2. However, the August 12th date problem is preventing me from doing a fresh ESX V3.50 Update2 installation. The documented fix about editing the MOF files worked perfeectly for me to correct the pegasus install errors.........

0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah, Shouldn't install Update 2 (wasn't aware of that by the time).

Luckely for us, we don't have Update 2 running in production.

We 'll just sit back and wait I guess...

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We have a standing policy that we never recommend a version of ESX to our clients until at least 90 days after GA code release. We learned this with ESX 2.5.0 moving from 2.1.2. This is for two reasons, both related to quality. First, hardware vendors, IBM, Dell, HP, at times, have significant issues with their respective hardware agents and new media releases from VMware. VMware does not have a great track record on testing even the third party components they recommend. Until the given hardware vendors recommend their agents have been fully vetted, they are not vetted by VMware. Second, VMware continues to prove that major releases just are not well vetted internally by VMware. We waited for more than 6 months on ESx 3.0 and we were still nailed on a numbe of issues. ESX 3.0.1 was better but not wonderful. ESX 3.5.0 we never recommended, this was per VMware recommendation to wait for 3.5 Update1, thus we only recently started recommending ESX 3.5 Update 1, again more than 90 days from GA release. This latest issue, unfortunate, for VMware, has proven to us, that we are justified in being late rather than early adoptors. We are very seriouosly waiting at least 6 months again, before recommending ESX 4, when it is released as GA.

0 Kudos
prefixed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still having this issue after performing the required steps. I even tried running the script in case I made typos or something. Still a no go, any ideas why the steps wouldn't work?

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Really? Humm. Has worked for us. Is it the very latest script?

0 Kudos
prefixed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually I just checked it now and it appears to be working. I did restart the esx host a few more times. It didn't seem to fix the first time I restarted though.

0 Kudos