VMware Cloud Community
Fredzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

errors after upgrade 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 Upgrade 1

Hello,

I upgraded two servers from 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 upgrade 1 from the CD.

Everything was fine during the upgrade process but at the boot procedure, I had errors at the end with the last script "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3".

Error from the log file /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3.log"

Parsing error: parse error: Error adding class VMware_IdentityMemberOfCollection

to the repository: CIM_ERR_NOT_FOUND: The requested object could not be found:

"VMware_Identity"

I had the same errors on both servers. If I reboot the servers "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3" re-tries each time but failed.

Everything seems right on the servers but I'm not confident about that.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank you in advance,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
61 Replies
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I followed the steps on my one environment, now on a different environment I don't have the 3_files directory. This was a fresh install...what do I do now?

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK,

I didn't have the 3_files directory, but the data was all in the 1_files directory. I ran through the steps but subsituted the

/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/roleauth-schema.mof

with

/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/1_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/roleauth-schema.mof

It worked...was that the right thing to do?

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes, you are correct.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Confirmed no issue if the queue instance is not 3, it could be 1 2 or 3 etc. provided you are getting the same error.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dear ESX users,

Thanks for your timely feedback regarding upgrading to ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 1.

As one user correctly pointed out, we use Pegasus to provide system management information, which third-party vendors can incorporate into their management applications.

We have identified the root cause of the issue and will provide fixes in an upcoming patch release. More information can be found in the Knowledge Base article 1004257.

Thanks for your information sharing in the community forum and keeping the discussion lively. We appreciate your support and feedback.

Best regards,

VMware ESX Product Team

0 Kudos
Monoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The KB writeup does not mention the work around mentioned earlier in the thread? Does that mean we should wait and NOT perform the workaround? I would it would be safest to undo the workaround before applying the forthcoming patch.

thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This solution worked for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

If there was an issue with the solution I have provided VMware would have indicated it in their post.

They are just acknowledging they know about it and will include the fix in the near future so we the users are not saying hey where is VMware on this one.

I have worked with systems management to a fair degree and can tell you that this solution is what needs to be done to correct the update failure.

0 Kudos
carlo_toniolo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks A LOT

Carlo

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's safe to perform the workaround, however a patch will be released to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Hope someone can answer my additional questions:

For now I disabled the pegasus service. As far as I can see everything is still working fine.

Is there really a need for running the pegasus service? Are there any VMware, HP, IBM, Dell components making use of Pegasus?

Security-wise wouldnt it be best to run as few as possible services?

Greets,

0 Kudos
jnickel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same error after upgrading a couple 3.0.2 boxes to 3.5 update 1. Just so you know...the directory was 2_files in my case...not 3_files.

Thanks for the information!

Jim

0 Kudos
joanwhit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We only had 2 files - do you create 3_files file?

0 Kudos
jason_vitanza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After my install, I do not have a "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files" directory. All I have is a 1_Files, and 2_Files directory. I made the changes to 1_files and 2_files. I am still getting this error.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a fresh install of 3.5 U1 and do also have this problem.

Is there anybody out there running 3.5 U1 and not having this problem?

raoulst

0 Kudos
Bastien_P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same here. 2 new fresh install and i have the error msg. But for now it seems ok and for what i read here.. The error is not a critical one. So i guess i'll wait and see. Tks for the solution and the confirmation that this solution is a correct workaround.

Remember: If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mahalo Mike for your contributions. This worked for me also.

Bill

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

A question in retrospect if I may. Thusfar I have upgraded two (of three) hosts. The hosts are the same, the media is the same and I am the same. Why would this error come up on ESX2 and not ESX1??

Mahalo, Bill

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't know what the root cause is. I would have to be intimate with the build process to know. I just understand the pegasus components and am able to correct the scripts so they install correctly.

I suspect that it was a good code distro up until 3.0.1 and then the issue surfaced. It not a serious problem since it is not used by very many shops. However it does make you wait longer for a system to come up.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you still having an issue with this?

0 Kudos