VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

document about setting up Individual VM Failure monitoring

anybody have the document about setting up Individual VM Failure monitoring? although this feature is experimental.

can i use this feature to protect a VCMS if this VCMS is a VM? just like you can vmotion a VCMS virtual machine?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

With u2 VMware HA now supports monitoring single for single VM failures based on the VMware Tools Heartbeat - from the release notes:

VirtualCenter 2.5 update 2 adds full support for monitoring individual virtual machine failures based on VMware tools heartbeats. This release also extends support for clusters containing mixed combinations of ESX and ESX Server 3i hosts, and minimizes previous configuration dependencies on DNS.

Since HA works when the host that has the VCMS server I would assume it will work if the VCMS vm fails -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

but how to setup? where is the doc? thanks!

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smiley Happy, you already give the answer, i find it in Resource management guide, chap 7, "Monitoring virtual machines"

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You beat me to it - that is where I would have sent you - :smileycool:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

who monitor the VM heartbeat? the VirtualCenter or ESX host?

in another words, if the VirtualCenter down,is this feature still available?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Actually both will - but for HA it will be the ESX host that will monitor it and cause it to restart if there is a failure -

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it should be the ESX, because if you directlly connect to ESX, you can still see the VM heartbeat

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Here is the link :