VMware Cloud Community
topheruk
Contributor
Contributor

disk size and space available incorrect

I have just installed ESXi 3.5 and I have run into a problem when creating a datastore using the vi client

it can see the 2TB raid 5 array but for some reason it says 44GB available! If I go to add the datastore it knows the HDD is blank and reads the capacity as 2TB but the max capiacity of the datastore is still only 44GB!

any ideas?

cheers

Topher

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

The LUN is probably bigger than 2TB, and I guess 44GB bigger. Try to downsize the lun and see if you can create a datastore. 2TB is the limit, and most of these kind of problems are related to this limit.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
topheruk
Contributor
Contributor

yes the raid 5 volume is just over 2TB, I could make it a smaller using the raid bios! or is the away to split to 2TB array inside ESXi and if so how do I do it? linux isn't my area Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It may be easier to do this during the intial setup, if you have the luxury rebuild and do an advanced configuration create the partition with the 2TB vmfs partition, honestly I would not even worry about a second 44GB partition...

0 Kudos
topheruk
Contributor
Contributor

yes I can do a fresh install, however I didn't see a option for advanced during the install process!

0 Kudos