/dev/sda2 full

Hello Guys,

i have an full esx server

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 5036316 4488196 292288 94% /

/dev/sda1 101089 26104 69766 28% /boot

none 134276 0 134276 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda7 2008108 78024 1828076 5% /var/log

do u know how i can make some more space on /?

I have also don recently an Updated on SP1, can there be some leftovers?

Thx for the help.

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A couple of places you can check. Do you have any large core dumps in /var/core or any large files in /tmp or under /home.

From different folders you can run the following command to get an idea where the space maybe from.

du -sh *

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the way you would add storage to / is by resizing the partiitons but before starting to messing with your partitions I would take a look at / partition and see if there is anything you could clean up - a problem I have seen before is using the service console as a repository for iso images or other large files and not thinking about where you are storing them -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A couple of places you can check. Do you have any large core dumps in /var/core or any large files in /tmp or under /home.

From different folders you can run the following command to get an idea where the space maybe from.

du -sh *

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

u where right i had alot of core dumps in var.

where there come from i hav eno idea coz this ESX have never produced any PSOD.

Any Idea for that?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A core dump isn't the same as a PSOD.

A creo dump is just a single process exploding - a PSOD is the result of a kernel panic.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Did you possibly have any hostd issues that caused a core dump. You could always take one and send it to VMware support to look at to see what the cause maybe.

0 Kudos
sonicsw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

today hat the same issue on an other ESX.

In one morning the "/" filled up from from 30% to 100% by core dumps.

I looked arround in the hostd log and found since this morning "haTask-ha-host-vim.DiagnoticManager.brwose-XXX"

Well i dont have HA, eigher a Cluster or even an VirtualCenter on this 2 ESX Server.

Could that be relatet? How can i shut this messages for ha up?

Greets and Thx Stef

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not sure what is occurring, but since it happened again on another ESX server you may want to take this to VMware support and have them take a look at one of the dump files to try and see what the issue may be,

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you sharing the same storage device with both hosts by any chance?

Just as a future reference, its best to split up your partitions more then you have them.

I typically do something like the following:

/boot -200MB

/ - 5124MB

/var - 5124MB

/tmp - 1024

swap - 1600

/vmcore - 101MB

/airlock - remaining space this is mainly space I can use for exporting vm's or something or if need be I can delete it and relink some of the space to another directory to spread of the space around

(I am going by memory so I may have missed some partitions but I don't think so)

This way if something goes haywire it will fill up /var typically...filling / is pretty much a system killer. I've seen 4 systems fill up root and in the end they were rebuilt as vmware couldn't even get 3 of them working again without a re-install. Files corrupted all over the place.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

I use the following:

/boot -> 200MBs

/ -> 5GB

/var -> 5GB

/home -> 5GB

/tmp -> 5GB

/var/log -> 5GB

swap -> 2GB

/var has the /var/core partition which can QUICKLY fill up if you have issues.

/tmp for administrative work if necessary

/var/log has all the logfiles

/home is for administrators to use. Some of those files are pretty large like tar based updates.

Just something I standardized on as I have seen plenty of systems fill up / very easily without them. A little prevention at the beginning goes quite a long way.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354

As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos