VMware Cloud Community
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

current VMware Tools build number

Quick question. Assuming a fresh install of ESX 3.0.1 and all the current patches being installed, is build-41412 actually the most current version of VMware Tools? I'm working on deploying brand new ESX 3.0.1 servers to migrate my existing GSX 3.1 and ESX 2.5.x servers to and obviously in those versions the VMware Tools build number would match the server's build number, but the current build for ESX 3.0.1 is 42829 right now, not 41412.

I'm assuming this is correct because of the way patches are now applied and according to the thread at http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=79426&start=0&tstart=0 it appears that patch # 3199476 includes the 41412 version of tools, which is probably just the last time they made changes to them.

I just wanted others to confirm/deny this before I get too far along. I used one of the various autopatch scripts and am trying to ensure it worked correctly (besides the obvious "esxupdate query" command).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep, 41412 is the current VMware Tools build.

Build number of ESX are not the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep, 41412 is the current VMware Tools build.

Build number of ESX are not the same.

0 Kudos
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use the strings command on the isoimages in /vmimages/tools-isoimages on the ESX server to check the version. Here is the output from the linux isoimage:

\[root@vm13 tools-isoimages]# pwd

/vmimages/tools-isoimages

\[root@vm13 tools-isoimages]# strings linux.iso|grep src.rpm

VMwareTools-7201-41412.src.rpm

\[root@vm13 tools-isoimages]# vmware -v

VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 build-42368

If it is the windows iso :\[root@vm13 tools-isoimages]# strings windows.iso|grep windows.iso

mkisofs 1.14 -v -J -V VMware Tools -o windows.iso /build/xfer/state/bora-41412/winimage

windows.iso

windows.iso

Christopher_J__
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good info here...but, here's the next question...anyone know of a way to query all VM's to find out what build of the tools they're running? The fancy display in the VIC doesn't really help with its "ToolsOK" and "ToolsOld". I'd prefer to see actual build numbers there...but being able to run a query and spit back a list that can be emailed to other engineers would be even better.

0 Kudos
Vduster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Btw (off topic): the VMWARE build number that is shown to me via vmware -v does not match the one shown in VI client for the same host ... how that ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it's a known "feature"

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos