VMware Cloud Community
krles1
Contributor
Contributor

copying vms over two servers with physical disks

Hello,

which is the best way to copy vm's from one physical server with local raid to another server. I need single copy because upgrading the hardware. Both servers will run ESX 3.5

Thanks for answers

Michal Krlin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Without Virtual Center you will need to manually copy the vm directories between the ESX hosts - and then register the vm on the new esx host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
krles1
Contributor
Contributor

well but how exactly? I dont have any idea right now. using ftp or other protocol ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

ftp by default is blocked on your esx host - you will need to log into the service console and use the linux based scp command - if you are not comfortable with in Linux you might look at WinSCP a freeware tool that will allow you to move files to and form your ESX hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can also use converter to do this for you.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
krles1
Contributor
Contributor

thank you both, i think i now know how to do it.

Vm Converter is nice tool but without proper licence is two step import and i dont have there enough space.

0 Kudos