VMware Cloud Community
mwilloughby
Contributor
Contributor

copied VM with scp to VMFS and VI cannot see it in the directory

I have copied an existing VM on my local machine to the VMFS with SCP.

I then use VI to add a new machine from an existing VM, I go to browse the folder to select the existing machine but none appear in the file browser dialog.

I check the permissions on the folder and files and they are the same as ones in the other folders which can be seen.

I note some files do not exist and I have created those manually to make the copied files similar to an existing machine that can be seen. I change the numbers to reflect the new files.

What am I the missing . I know you will say to use converter but I need to do this manually so I can modify my existing p2v converter tool that we wrote so we can automate the virtualisation process.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

existing VM on my local machine to the VMFS with SCP

By "existing", do you mean from a product other than ESX?

If so, try Vmware Converter instead.

Otherwise, let us know more details about versions from and to and we will attempt to help.

Dave

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, you didn't mark this thread as a question. See here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/help.jspa#questionrp

dave

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You can try using vmkfstools to import the VM into a VMFS3 volume, vmkfstools -i

0 Kudos
piacas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esiebert7625 is correct, if this VM was used in Workstation of GSX/VMware server, it will be in the COW format, you must convert it to ESX format by using the import command from vmkfstools......

0 Kudos