VMware Cloud Community
jaycrumpgp
Contributor
Contributor

converting Hyper-V VM to VI 3.5 VM

I'm having an awful time trying to get a few production VMs off of a win2008 R2 Hyper-V system.

We tested out HV on a pretty gutsy server and just pretty much decided that it sucks when compared to VI 3.x Enterprise (the licensing model within MS to get the 'Live Migration' stuff to work is ridiculous, and in addition just not as 'out of the box' easy to configure as is VI 3 Enterprise).

We are heavy on VI3 licensing already and have plenty of horsepower and production VMs already running (400 or so VMs over 4 clusters), so it's just time to turn the Hyper-V stuff back into a sandbox.

My issue is the lame HV hard drive issue....I have yet to successfully convert an HV VM to ESX due to the drive controller issue (IDE versus SCSI within VM). I can't get live Converter (we own the enterprise converter and use it all the time from within VCenter) to work whether using the Enterprise version or the Standalone version (both at 4.0x versions I do believe). I have finished a couple of conversions when using the boot ISO, but always end up with the BSOD 'inaccessible boot device' when booting up my converted VM in VCenter.

I've even tried some 'left field' solutions like doing a full Win2008 (within VM) system backup, then trying to use the 'Recovery Environment' to restore the full system backup into a fresh ESX VM. Still get a failure on reboot because the restored system doesn't contain the drivers needed for LSI logic SCSI controller. Any suggestions or things I may be missing? I have 3 production Office Communications Server components that I really need to get back onto ESX. Thanks very much in advance -

0 Kudos
2 Replies
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

May be this little tool can help you http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

Also you can try to install the Microsoft System Center virtual machine manager to pull the ESX boxes into it and drag and drop the hyper-v to the ESX box. Give this a try.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/virtualmachinemanager/en/us/try-it.aspx

Regards,

Aravind K

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jaycrumpgp
Contributor
Contributor

I'll give the WinImage a try.

I've tried the Virtual Machine Manager. That piece of software is a convoluted piece of crap.

0 Kudos