VMware Cloud Community
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

consolidation missing ...?

We upgraded our VC to 2.5 recently and I'm told there were no issues with the upgrade (I didn't do it), everything apepars good except that we do not have the consolidator tool available - I've tried installing by clicking on the CapacityPlanner.exe in the zip and that appears to install and I can then go down to the Capacity Planner directory and fire up capacity planner but I cannot seem to get the colnsolidation button onto the VI CLient ?

Rather than re-install the whole damn thing I thought I would ask here if anyone had any ideas how I could get this plugged in..?

Thanks for any suggestions

Gary

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Kida
Contributor
Contributor

In the main menu of VC you need to choose Plugins - Manage Plugins, install them and there after select enable in the installed tab for each plugin.

Hopefully this is an answer on your question.

Kida

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if only it were that simple......! Smiley Wink

Unfortunately the only plugins I have available are UM and Converter

thanks for the suggestion though

0 Kudos
NotAlone
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. The button didn't appear in the VI Client. The thing was, that the consolidation services were not started on the virtual center server.

0 Kudos
man_gold
Contributor
Contributor

deleted

wrong answer:_|

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmmmm, I did look at the services and I have the Capacity Planner service running - should I have a consolidator service too/instead....?

0 Kudos
Kida
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have any consolidator service running and I can see the Consolidation button and it works. Strange...:0

0 Kudos
NotAlone
Contributor
Contributor

Does this server run as local Service or as with an domain user account?

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

all the services are running as 'local system'

Just to clarify - should I have a Capacity Planner Service or a Consolidator Service ?

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to clarify - should I have a Capacity Planner Service or a Consolidator Service ?

Yes - you should have VMware Capacity Planner Service running on your VC Server.

I did have a few issues with my initial install though and I reran some of the .exe files on my VC server. I think VMware-VIMSetup.exe was the one that installed it but not 100% sure...

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I thought it should be Capacity Planner Service.

I can remove Capacity Planner via the 'Add/remove programs' and then click on CapacityPlanner.exe in the vpx directory and it installs Capacity Planner and adds/starts the service but doesn't provide the Consolidator button on the VI Client. I think I'm missing another step just don't know what it is....?

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Still not available as a plugin in the VIC?

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no, still not visible in VIC.....! ;-(

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry not sure where to go from here now, I guess you've done all the obvious stuff like reinstall the VIC? What about the VIC on a different machine, still no plugin available?

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had tried re-installing VIC but that had no impact either.

Appreciate all your suggestions, so thanks...

I'll hang on to see if others have more suggestions before I reinstall everything.....

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure if this will help of not but I went through a similar issue. Didn't realize the 2.5 upgrade wouldn't install in the same location as 2.0.x was and had to uninstall and reinstall everything to go to the correct partition on the VC server. I didn't restart the server after the uninstalls and one of the processes failed on reinstall -- turns out it was Capacity planner. It had marked the service for deletion but since I didn't reboot it hadn't been able to delete it.

Anyway, rebooted and ran the Capacity Planner install again. First time it didn't actually create the service. Second time it did. However, even after that the icon wouldn't show up. I did a repair on the VMware VirtualCenter Server application. After that the icon showed up in my clients. NOTE: Doing a repair will reset any connections, stop the Web Access and set it to Manual start.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
snapper_
Contributor
Contributor

I performed the obvious actions: you described above, reinstalled converter options, repair, but did not solve my missing Consolidation button problem.

I opened my VI client on my notebook to the virtual center server, then followed the process of installing the VMWare Converter Enterprise plugin, and enabled it. but sadly also it did not work.

The "VMware Converter Enterprise Service" is running on my notebook, and after rebooting notebook still no button?

When I open the VI client on VC server, and connect to localhost, it takes more then 4 minutes before opening.

but when the converter plugin is not installed it goes quick less then 30 seconds. Strange?

I do not see "Capacity Planner Service" on the VC server.

Even after running CapacityPlanner.exe in the vpx folder nothing?

0 Kudos