VMware Cloud Community
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

configuring NIC failure detection

Hi all, I am trying to change all NIC failure detection from link status only to beacon probing. looking at the property of the vSwtich, I though if i change this setting on the vSwitch, it will apply to all the port groups on that vswitch, but it didn't, I have to change each port group setting one by one. what's the point of this? if I need to change this setting for each port group, why this setting also exists as the vSwitch global setting?

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While this setting won't always change all of your port groups to the setting on the switch, it will change the template used to create any new portgroups. I've seen that changing this, will change settings on some portgroups, but not all that currently exist, but changing this setting will change that to be the default for any future portgroups. A bit annoying, but you can use vimsh or powershell or some other scripting tool to change on a broader level.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While this setting won't always change all of your port groups to the setting on the switch, it will change the template used to create any new portgroups. I've seen that changing this, will change settings on some portgroups, but not all that currently exist, but changing this setting will change that to be the default for any future portgroups. A bit annoying, but you can use vimsh or powershell or some other scripting tool to change on a broader level.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks alot, I tried it, the setting on the vswitch does work as a template for any port group created later.

0 Kudos
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I just found something interesting, on one of our esx severs, there are 6 port groups, i changed the failure detection to beacon probing on the vSwtich, surprisingly, it did change for all port groups if you click on each port group and look at the effective policy area ( in vswitch property window), but if you click edit and check the actual setting for each port group, it still didn't change. I don't know which is actually the effective setting. anyway, i just go through and change manually for all port groups. It maybe a bug.

0 Kudos