VMware Cloud Community
Jim_Huang_nj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

config smbmount to access ISO file

Dear all,

I have a Windows 2003 server. Many OS ISO files are in the server. I share these ISO file to all domain user.

When I config VMware VI3, I logon on ESX server, create a new folder in /vmimage/ and use 'smbmount' to mount window server's ISO file into the new folder.

When I create a new Virtual Machine, I use the mounted ISO file, it is OK.

But I fount out a problem, If the ISO size is bigger than 2GB. ESX server can't distinguish it.

ESX server can see it, but its size is false. One Vista OS size is 3GB, ESX only see 1.8G.

New VM can't boot from DVD.

When I use "smbmount' command, I use 'lfs' option.

If you have good way, please tell me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to confirm, you are using the syntax something like :-

• mount -t smbfs -o username=<username>,workgroup=<windows domain> //windowsserver/share /vmimages/mnt

If this still doesn't work, you might want to thing about installing "MS services for UNIX" on your windows server, and exporting (or sharing) the folder containing the ISO files using NFS.

You could define an NFS datastore on your ESX host.

A good guide to doing this can be found at Mike Laverick's rtfm site -

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to confirm, you are using the syntax something like :-

• mount -t smbfs -o username=<username>,workgroup=<windows domain> //windowsserver/share /vmimages/mnt

If this still doesn't work, you might want to thing about installing "MS services for UNIX" on your windows server, and exporting (or sharing) the folder containing the ISO files using NFS.

You could define an NFS datastore on your ESX host.

A good guide to doing this can be found at Mike Laverick's rtfm site -

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
Jim_Huang_nj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try NFS.

0 Kudos