virtech
Expert
Expert

Power off the VM, right click on the VM in the inventory and select "Clone"

0 Kudos
wron
Contributor
Contributor

hey there isn't any "clone" option in VI Client !! can i clone if i copy the .vmdk and .vmx files onto a datastore and add it to a resourse pool or something?

please advise.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

use vmkfstools to clone the disk from the shell. Then it is really easy to create another vmx files

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Nicke
Expert
Expert

You need VirtualCenter to get the "clone" option in the VIC. You should clone it manually as Sbeaver says.

/Nicke

Niclas Borgström
Arrow ECS Sweden
0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Sorry over looked you werent using VirtualCenter.

You could create a new VM with a blank disk and then import the vmdk file you want to the new VM using vmkfstools.

0 Kudos
wron
Contributor
Contributor

fine...thanks..i'll try it out from the shell.

0 Kudos
dreamgear
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to clone a VM using the command-line approach. We don' t have virtualcenter either.

But I had a few weirdnesses. First, when I was editing the .vmx file I could see that the "sched.swap.derivedName" attribute was going to be wrong. So I just removed that line and it seemed to do the right thing and then create it.

Second, even though it did prompt me to create a new unique id when it created the new vm, it did not modify the ethernet MAC address of the virtual adapter. If I remove this line will it generate a new one?

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I start ESX 3 from boot, the server enters "maintenance mode" and I see "clone" and "convert to template" on the "commands" window in the Virtual Infrastructure client.

However, once switched to normal mode, these disappear??

When will there be a linux client for advanced management of VMware??

0 Kudos
4ad
Contributor
Contributor

I have question, is VirtualCenter Free to use? We have momental VMWare ESX Server 3.0.1

Thanks

Slavo

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

VirtualCenter requires a license, so no it not free.

0 Kudos