VMware Cloud Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

clone question

Dear all,

When I clone an existing VM, will the new VM be associated in the datastore (as a refernece) or is a clone separate?

Not sure how it works.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

May I ask another question, what is a template? Will become VM from a template separate too?

A template is basically a VM. You mark a VM, you update patches, and make it the way you want other VM's to look like. From a template you can customize settings (name of VM, domain member / no a domain member, etc..) from Sysprep or in VM terms customization settings. A template is just a deploy VM from which other VM's are copied from. It's the same as a clone, biggest difference is it's a shared VM, and once you mark it as a template it becomes the master, if you will for ALL other VM's from that point on.

You can have many templates. It's a great way to keep a plain VM with no data, and user data, that you deploy other VM's.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you clone, what you will get is a NEW VM with the same specs as the old one. That's it. If you gave it a new VM name, then it will be a completely separate VM. New registered VM.

LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

A clone is a copy of a server's settings and disk files. You can customize it to change Name, Sid, IP.... etc.

So no reference to the source datastore ( disk files )

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linked clone does not exist yet in ESX.

Except when you use VMware View Composer for deploy multiple VM "client" using a same master.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay thank you very helpful to make things clear for me.

May I ask another question, what is a template? Will become VM from a template separate too?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A template is basically a VM. You mark a VM, you update patches, and make it the way you want other VM's to look like. From a template you can customize settings (name of VM, domain member / no a domain member, etc..) from Sysprep or in VM terms customization settings. A template is just a deploy VM from which other VM's are copied from. It's the same as a clone, biggest difference is it's a shared VM, and once you mark it as a template it becomes the master, if you will for ALL other VM's from that point on.

You can have many templates. It's a great way to keep a plain VM with no data, and user data, that you deploy other VM's.

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very helpful explained.

0 Kudos