VMware Cloud Community
w3rd
Contributor
Contributor

change network adapter priority

hey guys i was wandering... i have a couple of servers that are online with cos dedicated to one physical nic on each machine.. i would like to add another nic to this vswif to nic team the cos for redundancy... i have an issue.. each time i add the nic the system recognizes the new nic as the 1st in the device order.... some of the cables that are plugged into these systems are on diff subnets and require static assignments... however one outta 8 is set for dhcp.. i just have to find it...

you would think this would be simple broadcast domain... but in our infrastructure we have multiple networks connecting and the broadcast is hosed... so the issue is basically im hunting and pecking, however i thought i issued a specific guide to how i wanted them plugged and to what route / switch combinations im finding this isnt the case... and that the nics that i want to nic team are not being plugged to the correct network / subnet...

what i would like to do is basically make sure that the nic that i have that works on the current subnet is seen first? will this still give me the connectivity that i need or will i have to go in through console either way and statically assign the other adapter so that both can be seen via console and i can stop being kicked offline in vc?

apologies in advance if this is unclear???

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

hey guys i was wandering... i have a couple of servers that are online with cos dedicated to one physical nic on each machine..

You're talking avout a CentOS guest running on ESX 3.5, connected to a virtual switch with one physical NIC?

i would like to add another nic to this vswif to nic team the cos for redundancy... i have an issue.. each time i add the nic the system recognizes the new nic as the 1st in the device order....

some of the cables that are plugged into these systems are on diff subnets and require static assignments... however one outta 8 is set for dhcp.. i just have to find it...

You want to add another physical NIC to the virtual switch to have redundancy (and load balancing, maybe)?

Or do you add a second virtual NIC to the guest (because you talk about DHCP)?

Sorry, but the way you describe your problem is not so easy to understand for me....

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

If you want to change the NIC ordering as an example from lets say vmnic1 to vmnic0 you can do that by modifying the /etc/vmware/esx.conf file . In this case you need to identify which Physical NIC you want to change. After saving the file you need to run esxcfg-boot -b , esxcfg-boot -p and reboot the machine.

This way you after the reboot whatever Physical NIC you chose to be vmnic0 will reflect as that.

If you want to do NIC teaming then you can do esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic1 vSwitch0 , where the vmnic1 is the second NIC attached to vSwitch0 , vSwitch0 will already have another NIC.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : Consider awarding points if you thinks this answer is helpful /correct.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos