VMware Cloud Community
Andre_P_Claus
Contributor
Contributor

can not login ESX web access with created user id

I am having a strange problem here.

I have installed a standalone ESX server 3.5, with 10 VM's as a test environment. I have connected a Windows 2003stnd server with Backup Exec 2010 to the network to backup the VM environment. I have set-up the ESX root userid/password in Backup Exec to access the ESX server. I have set-up a backup list to backup all VM's. I can define them all, with the root userid. Every time I try to start a backup I get the message that the userid does not have access to the VM's. Access denied. Backup Exec answer to this error is to create a different account with full rights, to perform the backup. I have created an account in ESX and I have given the account all the rights root has. This account in ,Backup Exec, does not get access to ESX. It says 'access denied'.

I have noticed that I can not even use this account to access ESX through the web access option in IE. I can do this with root.

The ESX userid has the following groups assigend to it: root, bin, daemon, sys, adm, disk, wheel

The ESX userid can create/delete in all folders on the ESX server with the 'Veeam Backup and FastSCP' utility (I have not used the 'elevated' root privelege)

I have a feeling that I am missing a setting in ESX for the created account, but I do not know where. Can anyone help??

Thank you,

Andre

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andre_P_Claus
Contributor
Contributor

I have found an old post which has answered my question. here it is:

Folks, an answer for you all;

Create a service account you wish to use to access the MOB

Login to the ESX server through VI client.

Right Click on ESX server hostname and select "Add Permissions.." tab.

On the dialog that comes up, select "Administrator" in the drop down menu on the right hand side. On the same dialog click on Add.. button on the bottom left.

This shall bring up a dialog listing all the current users created on the host. This list should have the service account listed too.

Select the service account from the list and click on Add..button. This shall provide the selected user "Administrator" privileges.

Link to post:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/679275#679275

Great thanks to GVM

0 Kudos
gopinathan
Contributor
Contributor

I know that I can di this manually. What if you have to do the same for 100+ hosts? Is there any way to script this, either using powerCLI/Perl toolkit, etc. ?

0 Kudos