VMware Cloud Community
harishms007
Contributor
Contributor

c:\ space increase while Physical to virtual conversion

Hi,

I want to know how do we increase the space of C:\ while conversion of a physical to virtual server?

Ex: i have a 8 GB C:\ (physical server). I want to convert this to a virtual server with 16GB of C:\. Is this possible and if yes, how?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When using vmware convertor to virtualise. you will get a table of your disk configuration. you can set the new size there.

rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can do that using VMware Converter Enteprise in a cold migration. You have to boot your server with VMware Enterprise Converter CD and when the server disks were detected you can choose the resize option and readjust to a new size you want by typing MB ou GB values.

rgds

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

harishms007,

I just used VMware converter to create a new VM with additional "C:\" space required. I went from 10GB to 100GB, the process only took 1/2 hour. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMWare converter will do this, as has been mentioned. It doesn't take long, all it does is create extra unused space in the .vmdk when it is created. Same result as if you cloned a 20GB Hard Drive over to a 40GB Hard Drive using Ghost or Partition Magic, or something like that.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points