VMware Cloud Community
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

backup using vcbmounter

i currently use vcbmounter to backup several dozen windows 2003 systems. i have a 100GB Netware 5.0 system that i haven't tried the vcbmounter on yet. are there any concerns with running vcbmounter on an 'unsupported host system'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Bryan's 100% right, but here's the "dumbed down" version

Since you've got -t fullvm in there, you'll be right!

-

I suspect Bryan thought that you were running VCB on a Windows machine, which is the "usual" way of doing it, but your way (from the service console to an remote mount) works too.

When you run VCB on a Windows box, you have another option besides -t fullvm - you can use -t file to peek inside a Windows server and back up the files individually. Naturally, that one only works for Windows servers, backed up on Windows servers. Smiley Happy

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Should be no problem doing a image level backup but will not work using a VCB proxy to do a file level backup. The image level backup from the shell (COS) or the VCB proxy is guest OS independent.

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dumb it down for me doc...

i don't have a SAN, i'm sending the VM to a windows machine with a large dumping ground for my VM backups. I'm not familiar with vcb Proxy.

the command i'm using to get my live VM's one by one is:

/usr/sbin/vcbMounter -h virtual1.mydomain.com-u root -p mypassword -a ipaddr:mysystem.mydomain.com -r /mnt/remotemachine/mysystem -t fullvm -F 0

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Bryan's 100% right, but here's the "dumbed down" version

Since you've got -t fullvm in there, you'll be right!

-

I suspect Bryan thought that you were running VCB on a Windows machine, which is the "usual" way of doing it, but your way (from the service console to an remote mount) works too.

When you run VCB on a Windows box, you have another option besides -t fullvm - you can use -t file to peek inside a Windows server and back up the files individually. Naturally, that one only works for Windows servers, backed up on Windows servers. Smiley Happy

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry "the devil is in the details".. Yes your command will work fine from the service console.. I do this as well using a CIFS mount.. Very slow compared to the BCB Proxy mount. But it gets the job done.

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.