VMware Cloud Community
janradstaake
Contributor
Contributor

backup using VCB and dedicated network

Hi,

We have a problem backupping our new VMWARE servers.

situation:

produktion network: 100mb range 10.19 range with the workstations, ESX en VC servers.

(the guests are also in this network).

The ESX and VC servers are also connected to a dedicated 1 GB lan 192.168 range .

When we try to backup the VM's on the ESX servers to our backupserver (backup exec 11) we have to add the ESX servers to VC using the 192.168 adresses, otherwise VCB (installed on the backupserver) uses the slow 100 MB network.

This is done by using the 192.168 adres of the VC in the config.js file of VCB

However, doing that: you can not use the console function of VC as on the workstation it doesn't see the 192.168 network....

How to solve this.

Or is it possible use force VCB using the 192 network.

Jan Radstaake

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

ESX Hosts = Consoles connected to 192 subnet? And VMNets connected to 10 subnet?

VC = Connected to 192 subnet? And has another NIC setup for 10 subnet access?

VCB Proxy (backup server = connected on 192 subnet?

Production workstations and guests = connected to 10 subnet?

On the VCB Proxy, you attempt to run a VCB backup and you specify your VC in the command, and you backup via the 10 subnet? Does the VCB proxy have access to Both subnets? and are you using an IP address or using DNS resolution?

From what I understand of VCB, the VCB proxy will start the process, ask VC where the VM is, using it's LAN connection, and then backup the VM's Through the Console ports of the ESX Hosts, meaning if you only have one IP assigned to the consoles of the ESX hosts then you should only be able to backup via the 192 subnet.

I hope this isn't too confusing, I use VLAN's to segregate traffic on our LAN and eliminate some of these problems by not allowing the NICs to see anything I don't want them to see, and provide added security.

~ChrisMT

0 Kudos
janradstaake
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

VCB is on both networks.

When I use the 10.19 IP adres for the VC ( in config.js) then the backup goes at 100mb, when I use the 192.168 adders for the VC the backup goes at 1GB.

But when 1 use 10.19 the Hosts have to be know aby 10.19 adres in VC and also for the the 1 GB.

But the workstations (mine also) are only in 10.19 .....

To make it even moer diffucult:

We will get some other ESX servers in al remote location, using it own network (172.16) and ít's own 192.168 backup network in place there (including Backupunit...)

We want to manager all servers through 1 VC....

Jan

0 Kudos
ChrisMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you familiar with how to setup a VLAN?

That would allow you to remove the 192 subnet from the scheme that is currently in place, and consolidate everything to the 10 subnet, but also allow you to keep the host console ports seperate from any systems that you don't want to access them from.

I'll diagram what you explained and see what can easily be done, besides the above.

0 Kudos
janradstaake
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

What do you mean familiar with VLAn. Inside VMware? We are'nt... Jan

0 Kudos
ChrisMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, my main workstation decided to continously BSOD on me and now I'm working off my laptop.

What I meant by using VLAN's was to create a "virtual LAN" that you have control over on your switches. You can use them to segregate traffic to specific ports on the switch and isolate traffic.

I'll reply back today with a plan of action in regards to not using a VLAN, and hopefully it will shed some light on what can be done.

0 Kudos