VMware Cloud Community
team-ip-service
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

all vmkernel without default gateway

Hello,

we change our Network config, so there is no router in the vmkernel subnets anymore. IMHO there is also no need for a router cause this vlan's are just used for VMotion and Storage (NFS), and all esx are connected via layer 2 (OSI). This is the network point of view. But maybe vmware programmer have a different point of view.

So does anybody know if a gateway is required ? (for HA for instance, HA was configured successfully)

If it is required, does anybody knows the reason behind it?

thanks

Markus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lukas_radil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

thre are two things. HA is based on LGTO agents which are running in Service Console and for HA is'nt need any vmkernel network. Vmkernel stack is used for vMotion and VI client says that you must configure default gw. I'm running two esx farms (both are esx 3.0.2) without gw set for Vmotion networks (of course all vmkernel's ip's are in same ip subnet) and it works fine. If you are using vmkernel stack for accessing nfs or iSCSI storage gw is required only case that the storage is in different ip subnet.

team-ip-service
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I wasn't sure about HA. So thanks. I'm able remove default gw in vcs2.02 update1.

If the gui is the only thing, its no Problem for me.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

For me I set the VMkernel IP and Gateway to be the same and this works group for me

Steve Beaver

VMTN Forum Moderator

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos