VMware Cloud Community
fbettag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

adp94xx and manual mounting vmfs

Hey guys,

i just noticed that when i install my IBM xSeries 206m, the Install-CD Kernel loads the adp94xx module and finds the SATA disk. It also installs onto it without a hassle.

The only problem is that this module doesn't get loaded during boot (initrd). When i install VMware Server on a local IDE disk it boots fine, when i modprobe adp94xx.o it finds the SATA drive.

If some of the technical guys could wrap their head around and fix this i wouldn't have to ask this:

How can i mount vmfs/ after vmware running? Or better said, how can i attach the Datastore over the shell?

Having adp94xx.o loaded in the initrd would also fix my need to install the ESX System on the IDE drive and trying to get vmfs mounted manually after boot.

Hope you guys have an idea for that since i don't want to work for the rest of my days with Xen Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two things here. If you are running modprobe against the adp94xx.o module, then you are loading that driver into the service console, and not into the vmkernel itself. Look under /etc/vmware/pciid, and into the file adp94xx.xml. See if your adapter is listed there. In the service console, run lspci -v, and see if your controller is seen, and check it's device id is listed in that adp94xx.xml file. If it is not, that is why the driver is not loading at boot automatically. You can try editing that file to add in your device's id, then run esxcfg-pciid, and then reboot, and cross your fingers.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two things here. If you are running modprobe against the adp94xx.o module, then you are loading that driver into the service console, and not into the vmkernel itself. Look under /etc/vmware/pciid, and into the file adp94xx.xml. See if your adapter is listed there. In the service console, run lspci -v, and see if your controller is seen, and check it's device id is listed in that adp94xx.xml file. If it is not, that is why the driver is not loading at boot automatically. You can try editing that file to add in your device's id, then run esxcfg-pciid, and then reboot, and cross your fingers.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's a long thread, but it's filled with a lot of good information: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/116768

-KjB