VMware Cloud Community
mla_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a specified parameter was not correct Vim.Host.VirtualNic.Specification.Ip

Test network.

ESX 3.5

I want to connect ESX to Openfiler. When I try to add VMKernel I get err.: a specified parameter was not correct Vim.Host.VirtualNic.Specification.Ip

For IP address I entered host IP. Clean install. No Virtual machines in inventory.

Where to look?

Thx.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not use the same IP address assigned to the service console port of your ESX host - the VI Client is smart enough to know that the IP address is in use - try using a different IP address on the same subnet -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not use the same IP address assigned to the service console port of your ESX host - the VI Client is smart enough to know that the IP address is in use - try using a different IP address on the same subnet -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mla_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked!

So, if I understand correctly VMKernel Port is kind of Virtual device that allows communication beetween Network Storage and ESX?

Didn't have time to read ESX documentation Smiley Happy

But set up nice lab and study by working on it. Really must to read docs...

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In ESX there are three things that need communicate to the physical world -

• Service Console - You use a service console port and assign an IP address and networking informaiton - This is how you connect to your ESX server - it is also how you manage your server and connect to it via virtual center -

• Virtual Machines - Using Virtual Machine Port Gorups is how the VMs have their own IP addresses and the virtual NICs have their unique MAC addresses -

• VMlernel - The VMkernel is the ESX Servers operating system and is connected to the physical network though the vmkernel port which is assigned an IP address and gateway informaiton. It is used for vmotion and ocnnection to IP based storage -

For more information on networking check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3_server_config.pdf

0 Kudos
mla_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos