VMware Cloud Community
Brian69
Contributor
Contributor

Would I find anything in my logs for this?

Finally finished moving and configuring all of my VMs from a W2k3 VMWare Server 1.x to ESX 3.5 last night. This morning I went to check on performance and resource utilization and had a strange period of being unable to connect using either the VI3 client, or the web interface. The production VM's appeared to be working ok with a few client web sites running on them. I chalked it up to perhaps a network hiccup.

But then I looked at the performance monitor and found these gaps (attached image). Now I'm a bit nervous that I've either configured something wrong or that the I could have some failing hardware or something. I was able to log into my DRAC even while I couldn't access the service console. Eventually the SC came back, but I don't know what's going on or what I should check.

Any suggestions on where I can find the source of this issue? I don't know where every log is so please include full default path if you suggest I look somewhere specific. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian69
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Virtual hardware and VmTools upgraded?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
Brian69
Contributor
Contributor

On my VMs? All the tools have been upgraded, no idea about the virtual hardware.

Would that have an impact on not being able to access the service console or show obvious gaps in performance monitoring over the same period? What log do I check to see if the management service failed and restarted?

I don't have a lot of responses here, is this high on the list of stupid or over-asked questions?

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Something is definitely wrong, you shouldn't see any gaps in performance data. When there are gaps it generally means that hostd isn't running anymore, and there are a number of conditions that could kill hostd, and really none of them are good. I wouldn't suspect failing hardware off the bat, but it could be that too.

What type of hardware are you running, and what version of ESXi ( update level and build number ).

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

That can occurs e.g. by console network problems. Check the /var/log/vmkernel file for any warning/errors.

Reg

Christian

0 Kudos
Brian69
Contributor
Contributor

I applied all patches through U4 before deploying. It's a PE1850, 2x2.8 DC Xeon, 8Gb, 2x300Gb 15k U320 Raid 1. ESX 3.5 build 176894.

0 Kudos