VMware Cloud Community
jindalarpan
Contributor
Contributor

Windows machine issue

hello all

while i am trying to connect to ESX 3.5 server using windows 2003 machine i am getting a error message for console as unable to connect to hostd XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for all the ESX servers inside the VIC.

But when i try to log in from the different windows machine i am able to see the console of the virtual machine.

what could be the issue with the windows 2003 server as i m able to do rest all operation from there using VIC other than taking console. All required ports seems to be open between the windows 2003 and ESX server. And till few days back it was working fine from the same server.

is there are service which is causing this issue?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to be clear - Are you trying to remote console onto the ESX box directly using an application like Putty?

Thanks,

phIL

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This could be a firewall problem, not allowing 903. Make sure the IP that is presented is correct for the ESX host in question, as name resolution for the client making the connection to the ESX server not going to right machine.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
jindalarpan
Contributor
Contributor

yes check port is open and host resolutions is going to right server. more over me not using the hostnames me using ip so i dont think there would be issue with regards to DNS or hostname

0 Kudos
jindalarpan
Contributor
Contributor

no when i am saying remote console , i was trying to say that i am checking the console tab under VIC.

0 Kudos
jindalarpan
Contributor
Contributor

hello all

kindly help

0 Kudos
Varunsh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Port 903 needs to be open in any firewall between the the workstation running VI Client and the ESX host

Verify the ESX firewall policy

Verify that the ESX host and the workstation running VI Client are correctly synced to an NTP service <<<<<< seems to be the case as you have already checked the ports

DNS problems are a common cause of virtual machine console problems. Verify name resolution in your environment

0 Kudos
jindalarpan
Contributor
Contributor

hi Varunsh

Checked the open ports between 2, all ports re opened between these machines. also both are part of same VLAN.

Also checed the ntp and firewall, so not able to identify what could be the reason as when i am trying from different machine i am able to take console.

So i am able to guess it out there is some issue with this windows client

0 Kudos