VMware Cloud Community
MiteeThoR
Contributor
Contributor

Windows as NFS server works after 5 min? Slow Mounts?

I have an EMC Celerra NAS appliance sharing out NFS to lots of our ESX 3.02 servers and it works great. However, there is that nagging doubt of "what if my double-redundant dual controller NAS header goes down" so I'd better provide something else for critical applications, like DNS, Active Directory, etc.

So we found a Windows box, loaded it up with Windows Server 2003 R2 with service packs, installed Windows Services for Unix 3.5 using this as a guide: http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?p=228

Now that I'm sharing out my NFS export, I find that the first attempt will ALWAYS fail with an access denied error. But if I wait for 5 minutes and try again it will work. I've repeated this 20 times and always the same - fails the first time and works 5 minutes later.

I've tested rebooting the NFS server, and it appears that a reboot will retain the access, although if I reboot an ESX server it will get everything up and running, and then about 5 minutes after that the Windows NFS share finally becomes available. Is there some kind of setting in WSFU 3.5 that I missed? I looked in the logs and all they show are the successful mounts, and no evidence of the failure.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dctaylorit
Contributor
Contributor

have you tried start the 'portmap' and 'netfs' service on the ESX server. I know I ran into a similar issue and after starting those services it mounts up instantly.

Just a thought.

Message was edited by:

dctaylorit

0 Kudos
MarkE100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have R2 installed, then you dont need SFU 3.5

Goto Add\remove windows components

Other Network File and Print Services, then select 'Microsoft services for NFS'

This will basically install an updated & improved version of SFU.

Ive been using it with ESX for a while, mainly for storing ISO's, no problems at all, works a treat.

just need your group & passwd files as before, set under 'User name mapping properties' and your away.

0 Kudos
jfrench
Contributor
Contributor

Mark,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had spen nearly 2 days trying to mount a Windows NFS share using SFU. As soon as I enabled Windows Services for Unix, voila!

Much appreciated,

Jeremiah

0 Kudos