VMware Cloud Community
JonasHolm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2008 64-bit shows as Windows Vista 64-bit

Hi

I have my first Windows Server 2008 up and running as a VM but when I install VMware Tools on the VM the guest OS changes from Windows Server 2008 64-bit to Windows Vista 64-bit in the Guest OS column in the VI Client.

If I check in the Virtual Mashine Properties dialog the OS is still correctly set as Windows Server 2008 64-bit.

I'm running the VM on ESX 3.5 Update 4 Any ideas on why this happens?

Best regards

Jonas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Jonas,

As Troy mentioned, many of us have seen this "glitch",

I would recommend you to try and flip the Version in "general options" to Vista 64 bit, apply, flip it back to "Server 2008 64bit", apply,

and see if this helps,

If not, maybe reinstallation of VMware tools would help?

Or possibly remove VM from Inventory and then add it back (don't delete from the disk though...!!),

-

Please rate if Helpful-------

Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've seen this in my environment as well, and I believe others have seen it too. But just to confirm, if you edit settings of the VM and go to the Options tab, what does it say for your Guest Operating System?

Also, what version of vCenter are you running, you should be at U4

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Jonas,

If you clikc "Edit Settings" on this VM and go to the middle tab: "Options",

Highlight "Genereal Options",

What Version is listed in the "Version" drop down box?

Select Windows Server 2008 64 bit there and that should fix it.

-

Please rate if Helpful----

Alex

0 Kudos
JonasHolm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

If I go to the options tab for the VM it correctly say Windows Server 2008 64-bit.

I'm running vCenter 2.5.0 Build 147633 and vCenter Infrastructure Client 2.5.0.Build 104215

/Jonas

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you should update your VIC.... I don't know if it will fix it or not, but I think it's just an annoying little bug

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Jonas,

As Troy mentioned, many of us have seen this "glitch",

I would recommend you to try and flip the Version in "general options" to Vista 64 bit, apply, flip it back to "Server 2008 64bit", apply,

and see if this helps,

If not, maybe reinstallation of VMware tools would help?

Or possibly remove VM from Inventory and then add it back (don't delete from the disk though...!!),

-

Please rate if Helpful-------

Alex

0 Kudos
JonasHolm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks Alex for the tip.

I powered off the VM and flipped the OS to Vista and then back to Windows Server 2008 and now it shows the right OS everywhere.

Wonder what happens the next time I upgrade VMware Tools?... As I said the OS showed correctly before I intstalled VMware Tools on the mashine.

/Jonas

0 Kudos
JonasHolm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I spoke to soon...

The Guest OS column flipped back to Vista a short time after the VM was started and running. Smiley Sad

/Jonas

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's annoying, yes, but it will not affect your VM's ability to operate properly.

if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider making use of the helpful buttons.

aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Jonas,

I guess, I owe you some points back then...:(

or better, you have a credit with me.

Troy has been very helpful here also, and as he mentioned this does not affect functionality...,

I will look into this deeper and post if I find a fix...,

(flipping back and forth fixed it for me previously),

Alex

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Jonas,

One thing you might want to try is to manually update vmx file: "guestOSALtName = ........" line or any other that lists Vista

You will need to shudown VM and edit its vmx file: (BACK it UP first)

search for Vista entry and replace it with 2008 server exactly as it is named in Options in drop down list.

Again,

I would not worry about it and just leave it, unless you want to practice and experiment. Smiley Wink

Alex

0 Kudos
myvmadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am also facing similler issue, I tried flipping the OS types and in vmx file the entry guestOSAltName is already "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)". Still it showing as Windows Vista 64-bit. Is there any other method to change it.

ESX host is 3.5 and VC version is 2.5.

Any help would greatly help to resolve the issue

ESX Server Version - 3.5.0, 153875

VMTools Version - Same as host

VI Version - 2.5.0 Build 174768

0 Kudos