VMware Cloud Community
ultrasoul
Contributor
Contributor

Why VI can not update NIC status?

Hi, All

I have installed VMESX3.5 with 2 NICs installed. Then, I added NIC teaming with active-backup mode.

vmnic0 is active one and vmnic1 is standby one. When I disconnected vmnic1, nothing occured under /var/log/vmkernel.

And I disconnect vmnic0, /var/log/vmkernel told me that vmnic0 down and VI->Configuration->Networking shows me that both vmnic0 and vmnic1

got down even if I can access VI from vmnic1 as 1.gif. After I put vmnic0 back, everthing is fine as 2.gif. But I found the difference between vmnic0

and vmnic1 is "Wake On Lan Support"as 3.gif. I am not sure if I took mistake on setting NIC teaming Or "Wake On Lan Supported" is related with

the matter that VI can not update NIC status accordingly.

Kindly pls advise.

Gryan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

vmnic0 is active one and vmnic1 is standby one. When I disconnected vmnic1, nothing occured under /var/log/vmkernel.

Since it is a standby pNIC that will happen. It is better to just leave it active and use the default load balancing.

And I disconnect vmnic0, /var/log/vmkernel told me that vmnic0 down and VI->Configuration->Networking shows me that both vmnic0 and vmnic1

This makes sense.

got down even if I can access VI from vmnic1 as 1.gif. After I put vmnic0 back, everthing is fine as 2.gif. But I found the difference between vmnic0

and vmnic1 is "Wake On Lan Support"as 3.gif. I am not sure if I took mistake on setting NIC teaming Or "Wake On Lan Supported" is related with

WoL is used by VMware DPM or the experimental power management module available in ESX 3.5.

the matter that VI can not update NIC status accordingly.

Well it does for active pNICs, standby that are disconnected did eventually show properly disconnected when it attempted to use the pNIC. Until the ESX host attempts to use the disconnected pNIC it will not know it is down.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos