VMware Cloud Community
thickclouds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Who runs NFS?

Since I can't create a poll I figured this would work....B-)

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cool, i will check out, cloud computing has been generating a lot of buzz in last past year, will probably be the same way for coming years

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Running NFS and iSCSI. Mostly using NFS for test/dev and ISO storage, prod VM's are iSCSI.

0 Kudos
stefan82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• NFS for everything not using Fibre Channel.

• No need for a solution like iSCSI for me.

NFS has all the performance iSCSI can offer including more and is really management friendly concerning growing the datastore.

Fibre Channel for the enterprise.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Who runs NFS?

Same as Jeff, we have NFS mostly for standby images and ISO's for installing OS and updates.

We use Fibre for everything else, NFS is easier because it can be on any machine, and it doesn't really require special setup.

0 Kudos
mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NFS for everything so far

Exploring iSCSI

0 Kudos
pauljrb
Contributor
Contributor

NFS on 2003 box for ISO's and templates (very easy to manage)

FC for production VM's

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

I have seen a company using NFS with +-100 VM's hosted on ESX 3.02. Worked fine..

Most of the deployments I see are iSCSI and F/C but there is nothing wrong with NFS.

Carl

0 Kudos
dazole
Contributor
Contributor

We're running 100+ vm's via 6 nfs mount to 2 different NetApp filers. Performance is fine, management is a dream. We have no plans to move away from it, either.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

NFS for low priority, low performance, test systems and templates. This is due to the fact that we want to save the more expensive SAN storage (that's why we don't use the Celerra's as NFS servers) for guests which needs the performance and that we do not have the appropriate number of NIC's to create a satisfying NFS link.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos