VMware Cloud Community
Quiggley
Contributor
Contributor

Whitebox

I am wanting to build a couple whiteboxes that I can play with esx3 on. I will use iSCSI for storage.

Has anyone done this and gotten good results with any of the more common white box products like ASUS or GigaByte boards, etc?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

What I do when I want to see if a whitebox mobo is going to work is check the Tier-1 server models on the HCL. I usually use the HP and Intel (Intel's own) servers as a reference. I make a list of the different model numbers, then check out their system specs on the manufacturer site (ie. QuickSpecs for HP). If I see that, for example, an HP DL385 uses the AMD 8300-series chipset and Broadcom GigE NICs, then I try to find a whitebox mobo that uses the same chipset and supporting devices.

I've had great success this way in the past. I've used genuine Intel server motherboards (ie. SE7210, SE7320, SE7520, etc.) without any issue at all because they share all of the characteristics of supported systems on the HCL.

So, if you do your homework and cross-reference the supported devices with whitebox mobo combinations, you should be alright.

Paul

0 Kudos
vUser
Contributor
Contributor

Whitebox under $500 with esx 3x:

Gigabyte Ga-M61PS3 - am2 mobo

CPU AMD|A64 X2 4400+ 2.3G AM2 65N

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x10)

2x - Intel Pro Desktop 10/100/1000 Gigabit PCI - these are the desktop pro GTs - $30 a piece new

adaptec 29160n - ebayed this piece

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

So can you complete this set of links for the hardware that you recommend?

Gigabyte Mobo

Athlon 64 CPU

2x Intel Pro Desktop Gigabit PCI - can you give us a link to these please?

Adaptec 29160n

Frankly I am surprised that you have ESX running on a standard desktop motherboard?

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Just bought last week, performance is great !!! The ASUS board has embedded LSI logic and two Broadcomm nics. You can just connect your SATA disk to the SAS controller (on 1 channel not on 2 channels) and have ESX recognize it. Works without flaws and I get about 30Mb/sec diskspeed !!! Be sure NOT to connect a SATA DVD !! Use IDE.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz, 8 MB , Boxed

Asus Mainboard P5M2/SAS

Samsung SpinPoint T133 400 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300

LG DVD Rom GDR-H30N 16 X, 52 X, IDE, OEM

Mushkin DDR2 EM2-4200 Dual Channel 4096 MB, PC4200, 533 MHz, 4, Non-ECC, Kit Of 2

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunatly the PCI-X slots are 5V where 3.3V would be much better. Shame on Asus that you need to reed the manual first to find that out.

Han.

0 Kudos
vUser
Contributor
Contributor

NICs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1275962&CatId=1175

RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2882686&CatId=2261

Now just ebay 36 or 72 gb 68 pin scsi 2 or 3 (scsi 3 should drop down to 160) drives or get a 68 pin to 80 pin sca-2 adapter from ebay for $5 (not $40 from the sites that sell the adapters) if you can only find the 80 pin kind.

At the time, there was a case with 450 watt ps for $40 on tigerdirect ... not sure about now.

As far as ESX on desktops go, there was a rumor a while ago that ESX only works on xeons and opterons but obviously that has been proven false. I was worried that the chip set would somehow make it incompatible but it didnt. If you research the mobos used in the other whiteboxes, you will notice chip sets not to be a hinderance .. at least I have not read of a mobo that hasnt worked yet.

Just disable the onboard raid controller and NIC and install away.

0 Kudos