VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When does the VM auto startup / shutdown applies ?

Under configuration > VM Startup / Shutdown, we can enable VM autostart in the vmAutoStart.xml.

1) We would like to know when does this parameter is applied ?

2) Does it apply when the ESX 3.5 Host loses power / restart ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is applied whenever the ESX Server starts - whether after a normal power down or power loss -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We get a power failure of both ESX 3.5 hosts (in a VI cluster) a number of weeks before. After the power is resumed, we find that all VMs on ESX1 is started and all VMs (except 1) on ESX2 did not start up.

I find that for all VMs under Configuration > VM Startup, the option is "Disabled". Does it mean that VMs should not start up when power is resumed. If yes, it cannot explain why most VMs starts up when ESX Host gets power back. If not, it cannot explain why one of them did not start up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

VM Startup, the option is "Disabled". Does it mean that VMs should not start up when power is resumed.

Disabled means the feature isn't even on. So it's not possible for the VM's to start, unless someone started them manually. If the feature is enabled, then you have to move the VM's to automatic startup for them to start, otherwise there is no way they will start.

If someone modified a script in ESX that may start the VM's or a remote command, but otherwse there is no way they will start by themselves. There is enough problems with the startup that VM's don't start like they are supposed to, and I am certain they won't start without some assistance if the feature is Disabled.

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your advice.

I have already selected the checkbox "Allow VM to start and stop automatically with the system" this moring. However, I observe that for individual VMs, the status is still "Disabled". Is it correct ?

Besides, I would like to know what is the meaning of "Default Shutdown Delay". Does it mean that if the ESX Hosts detect system down, it will wait for 120 seconds before turning those VMs down ? Should we choose "Shutdown Guest" instead of "Power Off" (Our system is upgraded from ESX 3 to ESX 3.5 Upgrade 2) ?

Thanks

0 Kudos