VMware Cloud Community
Strago
Contributor
Contributor

What's to keep me from sharing my vi3 license?

Or my actual concern: if one of my ESX servers blows up, will I have any trouble building a new machine with my existing license?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

no. the license is not tied to a machine ID of any sort

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

No problem at all, if you use Host based licensing the VC server will free the licenses that are not being used. If you are using Server based licensing you simply re-install the file on the ESX server.

TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem, I already did it.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Nothing really is preventing you from sharing your License, however, it DOES have your registration info, and if VM Ware get's a hold of it, and figures out that you used your license improperly, you could forfeit ALL privileges and lose any and all money invested.

Misuse of a license is covered under Software Piracy, and it is a FEDERAL law. Do you feel like doing prison time?

0 Kudos
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think he doesn't want to share it but use it on an other ESX server if his production server goes down.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well from the original posting, I construed this as "sharing" his license with others, not simply another machine.

My mistake.

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Your License is based on number of CPU's, if you have a disaster and one of your ESX Servers blows up, as you put it then you are free to simply re-install to a new server..

0 Kudos
Strago
Contributor
Contributor

Ok that answers my question, thanks guys.

0 Kudos