VMware Cloud Community
mattssi
Contributor
Contributor

What makes /vmimages directory show up when browsing for ISO's?

Even though the /vmimages directory is on the ext3 file system, how come when you browse to connect and ISO, it shows the 2 Datastores and also the vmimages folder?

How/where is this link created? When I view the /vmfs directory, I do not see any symbolic links or anything pointing to /vmimages.

I'm sure this is something easy, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You would only need ISO images inside a VM. So when you edit the CD/DVD rom configuration, that's where you can browse the vmimage for ISO files (if you have them mounted from a network location).

Normally you can point your ISO to another location at the time you are changing the configuration for a VM. For me it's easier to always look for them in the same place.

0 Kudos
mattssi
Contributor
Contributor

Right, but my question is when you click that "Browse" button to select an ISO, what makes the dialog box populate the names of the datastores and the vmimages folder? Is there a file somewhere?

From what is presented, you would think you can putty in, browse to /vmfs/volumes directory and see your datastores and a symbolic link to /vmimages, but you don't.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I see what you are asking, but the vmimages is an old compatiblity folder from 2.5 ESX. It's not needed really.

There is no symbolic link the VIC is programmed to automatically show this folder when you browse to it from the CD/DVD configuration.. It's not a setting. You can make your own ISO folder, which is what I believe you want.. but have it populate inside the CD/DVD automatically like vmimages does.. This would be a nice feature, alas, I asked this question in class, and there doesn't seem to be a fix for this, you just to have make a mount point under vmimages.. so you can have acccess to ISO's on yout network.

0 Kudos
mattssi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that was what I was lokoing for!

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Here's some documentation I put together on this...

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX8

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos