VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert

What does free heap memory mean?

The amount of free memory in the vmkernel for ESX Server SV010001 is running low. Only 8321,00 KB of free heap memory remains.

This rule checks for adequate Heap memory on ESX servers. Add more physical memory to the server or use VMotion to better balance utilization across servers in the cluster.

What does free heap memory mean? And why do I get this message although on new esx servers without any workload.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you haven't already I would run a memtest on the memory. I have seen somthing to this degree and it was caused by bad memory

http://www.memtest86.com/

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

What does free heap memory mean?

According to VM Ware, there is a patch for this. What build/version of ESX are you running?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1004424&sliceId=1&doc...

Heap Memory

Heap is the memory allocated in runtime during program

execution. When memory is allocated using malloc() or calloc() for any

pointer in a program, the size of the memory is allocated from the heap

memory area and is assigned to the pointer. Until the pointer is freed

using free() the heap memory is used by the pointer variable.

meistermn
Expert
Expert

esx 3.5 update 1 and 2

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

|The amount of free memory in the vmkernel for ESX Server SV010001 is running low. Only 8321,00 KB of free heap memory remains.|

|This rule checks for adequate Heap memory on ESX servers. Add more physical memory to the server or use VMotion to better balance utilization across servers in the cluster.|

What does free heap memory mean? And why do I get this message although on new esx servers without any workload.

Heap memory is an internal memory pool created at the startup of a process that tasks use to dynamically allocate memory as needed. it is a programming thing.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

I knew it! Blame the programmers. :smileyangry:

Jason D. Langdon

This space is for rent.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

are you using vFoglight?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Hey DoubleH,

I'm still running a demo version of vFoglight and I've got 10 ESX servers with this heap memory error.

Jason D. Langdon

This space is for rent.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

yes i have this to. i created a case back in october with vmware. they have an internal kb that i'll share.....

The user reports an error such as

The amount of free memory in the vmkernel for ESX Server ykesx02.yk.udlp.com is running low. Only 8045.00 KB of free heap memory remains.

This rule checks for adequate Heap memory on ESX servers. Add more physical memory to the server or use VMotion to better balance utilization across servers in the cluster.

Resolution

This is not an ESX error but caused by a 3rd party utiliity called vfoglight.

The proc node that this utility is reading is /proc/vmware/mem for System heap free

However 8 mb is well within acceptable range which means the 3rd party utuily default threashold are too high.

I think i then went to vizioncore and created a case. I'll see if I can dig that up.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Thanks H.

vFoglight is a great product but I don't like these false errors.

Jason D. Langdon

This space is for rent.

0 Kudos